As someone who grew up in Omaha, Nebraska (and talks about it to anyone I meet), I was excited to hear about the Big Omaha conference when it was announced at the end of last year. Omaha (as unfortunately not enough folks know) is a creative center in the Midwest in business, the arts, and music (among others). And that lack of knowledge about (and organization around) Omaha's creative output was the impetus behind this great event this past weekend.
To this point, Omaha is home to many businesses/events well known outside of the Midwest corridor, including:
- Berkshire Hathaway (investment firm of financial giant Warren Buffet),
- Saddle Creek Records (home of the act Bright Eyes),
- Omaha Steaks (local and online purveyors of great Nebraska-raised meats),
- NCAA College World Series (home of the college sports world's yearly tournament),
- Henry Doorly Zoo, (which has the world's largest indoor rainforest, nocturnal exhibit and indoor swamp, indoor desert and geodesic dome, among many