While trying out the Yahoo Homepage apps, i found few missing things. Although, it is up to Yahoo to put whatever it wants to show on it's network, but from a developer standpoint these are real issues:
1. There is no search box for apps on the Yahoo Home page. All it has is a way to Add RSS feed. Minimum expectation from uses and developers would be that apps should be searchable from the homepage. 2. From http://apps.yahoo.com/myapps, there is no way for user to search for an app. Not sure how developer will get any distribution if apps are not searchable 3. Once you have installed an app, and you are on the app canvas page, there is no link pointing back to the apps home page(http://apps.yahoo.com/myapps). We, as developers are always url savvy and know how to manipulate them, but common users can care less. All they would like to do is add more apps, which they can do only if they can get back to apps home page. 4. Also, the Yahoo Search box above each app and on app home page has almost no context. Not sure why would users be performing a general web search when they are really interested in interacting with an app. That's more like the MySpace adding Google Search box. Yeah, MySpace made millions from Google Search deal, but at the cost of Facebook getting the number 1 spot by focusing all it's energy on the social aspect of things. I guess, now Yahoo needs to decide what it really wants to do when it says social apps - social or search or social+search+bad-user-experience. 5. Yahoo Updates API (http://developer.yahoo.com/social/updates/) has a rate limit of 5,000 queries per day/IP address. That number comes nowhere near serving 330million yahoo users. And it is even worse if those requests are coming from Google AppEngine app, where apps cannot have a static IP. And this limit in place even after the fact that YAP is live in production.
Thank you for your feedback. Here are some answers/comments:
1. and 2: You should see some improvements there in the near feature on our homepage and on apps.yahoo.com - You can actually right check out the upcoming release of our myapps page in our preview environment: http://preview.apps.yahoo.com We think you'll like the search and browsing improvements :-)
3. totally agreed - we use to have a link to go back to myapps but somehow it got lost 2 releases ago - We have a bug tracking this enhancement.
4. Search is part of the universal header served across most yahoo properties.
5. Rate limiting is applied per project type (CK+secret) - let us know when your app starts hitting the limit, I'm sure we can work this out.