Accept-Language not set correctly in open application requests
I built my Yahoo Applications to operate in both English and French, but it looks like the language indicated by Yahoo in its request to the app is always set to "en" no matter what language "My Yahoo" is running in.
The docs (http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/yap-params.html) indicate that "Language-Accept" will indicate the preferred language that the app should respond with, but in all my tests it always comes back with "en".
I also noticed that none of the other Yahoo apps I have installed seem to respond to a change in language (by adding ?lang=fr to the end of the URL, for example). Is the "Accept-Language" parameter just never set properly, or am I doing something wrong?
Is your app marked as supporting Fr and EN? In the metada of your app you should be able to set it to both languages. I'll have to double check but if I'm not mistaken we check the preferred language of the user and then send it to the developer. So, if you signed the TOS for France when you created your yahoo id we should tell you the user prefers FR.
Things get ugly when you have a french user with a french TOS that goes to the US version of homepage - properties can overwrite this setting so you may end up in some cases w a french user useing a US-EN app where the app is in english but the footer and header are in french...
Anyway, one suggestion would be for you to ask the user what language he prefers the first time he uses the app, or offer some way to change the language on the fly if the default language we pass you does not fit the user's preferences.
Hope this helps, send us your app so we can check it out!
X -- Xavier Legros Director Product, Yahoo! Application Platform