ASTRA Utilities (deprecated)
Yahoo! offers the ASTRA Utilities for use in any ActionScript-based project, whether in Flash CS3 or Flex Builder. These utility classes build a foundation for more advanced functionality in Rich Internet Applications that is portable across different frameworks and component sets. This library is available under an open source license.
Flex Builder Installation Instructions
To use the Yahoo! Astra Utilities in Flex Builder, you need to add the classes to your project's Source path.
- Find your project in the Flex Navigator.
- Right-click on the project and choose Properties or open the Project menu and choose Properties.
- In the project properties dialog, choose Flex Build Path.
- Select the Source path tab, and press the Add Folder... button.
- Enter the location of the Astra Utilities classes. It should be at
- Press OK in the Add Folder dialog.
- Press OK to close the project properties.
- The Astra Utilities classes are now available in your project.
Flash CS3 Installation Instructions
To use the Yahoo! Astra Utilities in Adobe Flash CS3, you need to add the classes to your FLA file's Publish Settings.
- In Flash CS3, goto the File menu and choose Publish Settings....
- Goto the Flash tab.
- Click the Settings... button.
- Add the classes to your FLA file's classpath. It should be located at
- Click the OK button on the ActionScript Settings dialog.
- Click the OK button on the Publish Settings dialog to return to editing your FLA file.
Support and Community
To get help and ask questions about Yahoo! ASTRA Utilities package, please visit the ydn-flash Yahoo! Group. Be sure to send bug reports and feature requests here too!
Additionally, we recommend visiting the Yahoo! Flash® Blog for the latest news and announcements about Flash projects at Yahoo!.
Utilities Overview (deprecated)
Animation Utility is a very lightweight tween engine to manage animations in ActionScript projects.
Layout Utility is a low-level library for managing layout in ActionScript projects. It is designed as a building block for adding layout containers to UI control sets. For a reference implementation, take a look at the Layout Containers in the Astra Flash components library.