We recently wrapped up another great Hack U at IIT Delhi - from Oct 13 - 16, 2011. This was the second time when we were at IIT Delhi for Hack U. Exceeding our expectations, we saw a record breaking participation! More than 300 students from IIT Delhi, IIIT Delhi, DCE and NSIT came in to attend the event.
Hack U kicked off on Thursday evening with inauguration from Prof. Balakrishnan, IIT Delhi - Deputy director. Shovick Mukherejee, CEO - Yahoo! India R&D, delivered an inspiring keynote address talking about innovation in India and internet industry. The keynote was followed by tech talks on introduction to hacking, YQL, Web primer, Semantic web, YUI, BOSS and Geo technologies.
Hacking officially started at 9AM on Saturday. YQL, YUI and BOSS were the favorite Yahoo! technologies amongst the hackers. Around 150 hackers coded through the night to finish their hacks by Sunday morning. 54 hacks were registered! There were a number of impressive hacks which got our attention. Prof. Debjyoti Bera, Prof. Vikram Goyal and Dr. Souvik Mukerji joined us for judging the hacks.
- Idiot Box by Abhishek, Sudhanshu, Jatin and Ankush - Idiot box creates dazzling slideshow of photos from lyrics of the playing music.
- Hisab by Nikhil and Ankur - A social money management tool generating simplest balance settlement plan amongst friends.
- Toonatoes by Amritansu, Gaurav, Ankit and Amit - Generates comic strips from your facebook conversations.
- Lasagne by Raghav and Mayank - helps you understand the real value of online food deals from Indian group buying sites.
- Sharesoc by Sangeet and Nikunj - Easy drag and drop sharing between Facebook and twitter.
- Facebook2flickr by Vigya, Ankit, Gaurav, Agastya - Enables you to export your Facebook albums to Flickr.
- Mailscheduler by Rishi, Vibhav, Rohit and Akshay- Schedule sending of your mails with this app.
- Get_Directions by Srijan - Get directions from anywhere to everywhere on a phone call
See the full list of hacks submitted.
Congrats to the winners and everyone else who attended the event. Special thanks to the IIT Delhi ACM chapter, professors and students who helped us with the organization. A big shout out to Balaji, Hemant, Jai Santosh, Pradeep, Prashant and Sudar for delivering tech talks and helping students with the hacks. Also, huge props to Chelliah, Roopal, Priya and Cheryl for managing all the logistics.
Check out more photos from the event on Flickr.